Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'am Me, I'am Mine....

Today was a day were you could say that I was more active than a pair of gym socks during a race up Rainer ( Rainer is a mountain in the N.W., and shit if you jogged that, you'd be far from living at ease). I officially have 2 weeks before I kickstart the season with some heavy touring, so I have decided to solidify my responsabilites now , instead of waiting the night before where my hands would be shaking out of stress more than a wind up penguin you wold win with tickets from skiball. Upon my many ventures for the daily grid, I made a stop at the post office to send off some transactions that were in the mood of departing. Upon sitting in the waiting room on line, I unexpectadly was tracked down by someone I had not seen in quite sometime. At first, I had to hold my breath from being somewhat short in my communications, but i figured at this point at my life, I should know how to act at age 24. If anything I was more determined to frame out how advanced I have become in the past years, hell even months.

I won't go into detail about who the individual was, because that is not really all that important, and chances are you may not even know of the individual. After the generic greeting of suprise, and generic expressions you snake out when you get on the nostalgic N train, some comments were followed from the individuals conversation. The person pointed out mostly on the change of my appearance. Immediatly following the comments on my wardrobe and hair, this person decided to grab my wrist and lift up my jacket to look for my X Swatch! Now for those who do not know, my X swatch was gacked in Richmond VA, and wont get into anymore detail about it because its like a cat getting hit by a car type of feeling. So anyways, then some questioning followed before I could even explain what happen to my crucial accessory. Ya know, the so called " So I guess your edge is done huh? I mean I never thought I'd see the day where I would see you trade in your Pos Top for the Oasis cut!" And as this person thought they were being funny, I was just insulted in so many ways.

Now, I' am one to take a joke, I mean I'am quite easy going and laid back, but this time, I was just not having it because he was pouring down these lame liners like niagra falls on an infant salmon. Thats where I cut in abruptly, and explained that my change in appearance would never inspire me to letting go of my morals, passion, or position. I mean who the hell said you have to aqcuire a certain look or uniform in order to be in the approval for what you stand for? I then told this bum that my edge was sharper than ever, I'am more active in my lifestyle than I ever been, and that I was just flat out offended that I would be judged by my spruce up in appearance! Now I did'nt get the point across in a heated temper, but more of a level minded , serious, and mature style, because this dude obviously was acting like the kid who would crap the sandbox in kindergarten. I then noticed that he was taken back, embarassed, and felt extremly desperate for redeeming himself.

He then explained that he was just used to witnessing the path of a fallen "edgeman" all the time. I then clarified that he apparently did not know me as well as he thought he did to ever think that I would make that choice, and that sometimes you just have to catch yourself before making an assumption. I explained that when people change , it does'nt mean that everything goes out the window, and that he should take time to think about that before taking an image and creating ones current lifestyle from the picture. I accepted his apology, and we spent a few minutes trading our current lifestyles. As I was listening to his current tales, I felt that he was unfufilled because he was in the same old routine of getting a job, grabbing a spouse, and sinking into the path of the laminated Long Island dream many get rused into persuing. I did'nt brag about my current situation, because you never do that no matter what position you are in, but he seemed very puzzled that I had grasped onto my lifestyle the way I have been, and he even congradulated me on my achievements.

Then when my turn came to mail out my fresh goods, we parted ways and wished each other luck. As I walked out of the dungeon known as the United States Postal Service, I was quite pensive about alot, and many questions stepped up to plate? Why is that we still just judge a book by its cover? Why is that we all react to change in some very bizarre ways sometimes? Why do we never take time to just keep the important qualities in mind about someone when we supposedly know them well? I dunno, I guess what I'am trying to get across is that you should really take the time to think before you make an assumption. I will admit, my wardrobe has changed a bit, and I have literally let my hair down with some extra expansion in length, but it does not by any means change the kid I'am or what I stand for. I still blast my Absolution record louder than you, I still swipe my X's knuckle to wrist with a sharpie, and i still like my coffee with soy milk and the cruelty free culinary arts. Change is not a bad thing, and it is ok to let some new air bleed into your agenda, it makes you diverse , intresting, and creative. So in others , do what you want, wear what you want, and don't let anyone decide what you are by visiual impressions!

No comments: