Monday, March 24, 2008

what is my, percussion, fascination???

Ok, I'll side with the real! Nothing truly entertaining or eventful occured this weekend, but I always like to keep my friends in check with whats "running in my red " ( daily routine, grind, etc). However, being productive remained in my balance as always. I kept this set of " grids "(weekend) at a "flush" (ease) due to realizing that this will most likely be the last weekend I have for any sort of downtime until Fall of 2008. I can't even make this up, for the next sack of months , my schedule is looking more over the place than one of those chump ass wrapping paper print hoodies that brokeass skateboarders fancy now.

I spent the majority of this week practically tunneled downward via basement at the wrath of my drumkit. Now to most of you kids, this is a common trait of mine, but straight up, when it's time to record an LP, you absolutly never half ass that moment of kicking it in the studio space, and you never take it for granted. I look at this oppurtunity for all of my brain power, and musical technique that I have to offer to get documented, and make nice to it's utmost abilities. And I hate to break it to you, but regardless of this being a "hardcore" project, I still look at these songs as a piece of art. I know that's a major bummer to alot of people, but how are we gonna keep everything fresh and exciting if we rehash the same Floorpunch riff for the 169th time?

For example, I never "wasp out" (gloat, brag, rub in ) where I get my ideas, but here is a sample. While in Europe, Verse would always have just all this sparetime to loaf around the venue pre-gig. I believe it was Munich Germany (excuse me if it was'nt), but I was lounged on a couch residing towards a very "pissy pitched" (loud) kitchen. As I was taggin up a new pattern in my notebook, I paused and took notice of this coffee machine that was the stand out speciman of all the snotty appliances. I stopped my train of thought, and just really listened to what was stirring out of my javmatic homey. And I don't know if it was the overdose of FUGAZI and MIND OVER MATTER in my playlist on that trip that got me amped , but after a few measures of earing up the beauty of the "mug mug mug "(coffee, descendents!) machine, I noticed that I had 2 measures of music brought to life.

I immediatly went down stairs underneath the venue and assembled a "couch kit" in the waiting room (pun intended I suppose). "What in Jah's name is this?" I whispered to myself as I mechaniced the measures I just created. I was just " 4 walls floored" ( impressed) with my achievement. I guess what I'am trying to get out of that snip of a story is that I think it's important that as an artist, it is just really necessary to think outside of 4 strings, or just paradiddles, or the low end. Sometimes you really need to just soak up whats around you at any given moment. Wheter the moment is in the ease of silence, or wheter it is just "rail slid" (sprad, bombarded) with nuisance, just let it in your practice palate, and see what you can come up with! I think this calls for all creative kids regardless of what your striving quality is on stage.

I dunno if it's the "snapcase 95er " in me , but, when I framework some material, I try to create something that might actually kick a "burning fight" ( an idea) into someones head. I want to really paint some inspiration into a kid who's practicing in his room til the neighbors get sour and cook the bacon at their stoop. This way, if you Jav others into really taking their given instrument seriously, we can have more creative pieces come out, and just continue to have this whole movement grow with very open minds and open ideas. Another trait I carry is that I flow every measure I have with any band to the deep end of my heart. I feel what I put forth into everything really mirrors out what kind of person I'am. And since I'am nothing but creative, honest, powerful, diverse, motivated, easy going, fun, serious and altogether, that is why I really take all those qualities, and "kemp" (slam) all of that into my single percussionary unit! So with all that, I cannot help but act like I'am awaiting edgemas day once recording day arrives in a week or so! I promise to give some legit updates, and get my entertain on for you all!

the "searching" playlist to perk my percussion palate:

For being tastetul, having order,groove and just euphoric song writing:

Tegan And Sara - The Con
Silent Majority- Life Of A Spectator
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese dream
The Roots- Game Theory
The Smiths- s/t
Radiohead- Ok Computer
Sunny Day Real Estate- Diary

For power, aggression, and consistancy-
Quicksand- Manic Compression
Helmet- In The Meantime
Nirvana - In Utero
Nas - Illmatic
Refused- Shape Of Punk To Come
Mind Over Matter- Automanipulation
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.

dance sources (you'll see where this comes in, it's good, I promise)-
Joy Division- Substance
AFI- decemberunderground (Adam Carson shreds on this)
The Cure - Disintegration

Current reading choices:

"The Power Of A Positive No" by William Ury
"Restful Sleep" - Deepak Chopra M.D.

No comments: